Thursday, August 12, 2010

How do I choose who lives?

Jake Fischer: Hey, there was a question I wanted to ask you back as school, but I didn't. When you can't save 'em all, how do you choose who lives? 
Ben Randall: It's probably different for everybody Jake. Its kind of simple for me though. I just, I take the first one I come to or the weakest one in the group and then I swim as fast and as hard as I can for as long as I can. And the sea takes the rest. 


I've been in Training people formally for over 5 years, its been a pretty exciting journey so far, nevertheless once as I was watching this movie: The Guardian  I came across this beautiful interaction between the Coach (Kevin Costner-Ben Randall) and the Coachee ( Ashton Kutcher-Jake Fischer) and this was the dialogue:


"Jake Fischer (Ashton Kutcher): Hey, there was a question I wanted to ask you back as school, but I didn't. When you can't save 'em all, how do you choose who lives? 

Ben Randall (Kevin Costner): It's probably different for everybody Jake. Its kind of simple for me though. I just, I take the first one I come to or the weakest one in the group and then I swim as fast and as hard as I can for as long as I can. And the sea takes the rest."

This interaction got me thinking, how often do we think this way? Come to think of it we're all going out to save the saved. Look at our school days, the teacher's favorite is the First Ranker, The Front Row Guys, The Regular Ones, The Smart Guys but hold on.....these are guys who are pretty smart already...there is nothing much that the teacher/lecturer has to do to help them...its the weaker ones, the back benchers, the irregular ones that need the time, attention and the support. They are the ones that NEED to be saved first, the strong ones can manage them selves.

How often we see teacher/lecturers taking pride on their smart students, well there is nothing much that these teacher/lecturers have done for them, How often we see teacher/lecturers taking pride on their Weak Students.

I'm reminded of a scripture in the Bible found in Matthew 9:12 & 13, where Jesus says that 
"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick"

This was a wake up call for me, every time I walk into a training room, I have a choice to make:
How do I choose who lives? How do I choose who needs more of my support and time? the weakest

That is all that has ever made the difference!!!

No comments: